Monday 1 November 2010

All on Board at Walk Bus Man Honour

For the Wear Valley Mercury (Oct 29)

By Ryan Pilot

A CARING dad has been awarded a medal for his services to Durham's longest running walking bus.

Michael Walker set up the walking bus six years ago when his daughter Danielle asked him.

He said: "I used to walk her to school anyway, so I said yeah, I would do it. I went to a meeting at school and it all went from there."

Danielle, 12, has since left Woodhouse Community Primary School in Bishop Auckland. But dedicated Michael, 25, has continued with the scheme. He said: "I enjoy it and to be honest I don't want it to fold. I enjoy doing it and I want it to keep going for the school itself."

Durham County Council chairman Mac Williams gave Michael the Chairman's medal last Friday at a school assembly. It now has pride of place in his living room.

He said: "I'm very proud of it. They recognise the work that I've done for the school." A group of six adults run two walking buses, with one running morning and evening.

Michael, a parent governor, takes about 10 children to school every morning. His wife, Emma, 30, who is a supervising assistant at the school, is also involved.

Handing over the award Coun Williams said: "Michael is a perfect example of why the Chairman's Medal was launched. Michael's work has been outstanding and it's a credit to his sterling efforts that the Walking Bus Scheme is so successful at Woodhouse Primary School."

Danielle missed her dad's award ceremony as she was at school, but is very proud nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment